New Caney is an unincorporated area North of Houston and south of Conroe, TX located within Montgomery County. New Caney is centered along the junction of Farm Road 1485 and Highway 59. The area was originally settled in the early 1860s by Austin and Sarah Presswood, who name the town “Presswood, TX“.
New Caney was established in 1862 under the name Presswood, named for pioneers Austin and Sarah Waters Presswood. Captain John Robertson and other settlers followed, and cattle ranches, mills, and stores were opened along Caney Creek. In 1877, the town received a railroad from the East and West Texas Railway, and Caney Station became a shipping point for imports and exports, bringing more business to the area. In 1882, Presswood received its first post office, registered under the name New Caney, as the name Caney already was in use by another Texas town. This development led to the name of Presswood falling out of use, as New Caney became the preferred term.